Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 13 Modest Hearts

What comes to mind when you hear the word modesty?*

To be modest is to:
be discreet
be reserved
see yourself as you really are-humility
be ashamed if your attitudes or dress were ever to cause dishonor to Christ or cause distraction to other believers, or worse yet, were ever to cause men to sin in their thought life or in their morals.


To be immodest is to:
be showy
be arrogant
be overly loud and arguementataive
be aggressive, controlling, or domineering

1 Peter 3 Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes.You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

I think we can only achieve this if we can grasp and create a meek spirit. I long for a spirit of meekness but I know it doesn't come naturally, we have to first aware and be intentional of our actions and reactions.
meek people are:

•teachable people
•humble people
•open to counsel

If you never open your bible. You are really missing out on God speaking to you big time! It's not just a bunch of profound inspirational quotes or annoying rules, it's counsel, direction, and commands for his people to prosper be blessed and live for his promises! I am listing some good scriptures to look up meekness, I hope you will create the time to read them.
•Psalm 37:11
•Isaiah 29:19
•Zephaniah 2:3
•Matthew 11:29
•Colossians 3:12
•1 Peter 3:4
•1 Timothy 6:11

2 comments:

  1. Besides the outward part, I think modesty is also just eliminating the word "I" in how we serve, what we think we accomplished, and how we've prevailed through some of our struggles in life. Modesty is instinctually giving that credit to God and taking none of it for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, true that! ;) It in no way comes to me instinctually. I try to do what I do for God but after wards it's still reeks of what "I did". It all starts from seeing ourselves as we really are-humility. I know myself I need to shrink so much lower. Husbands and families are such a great test of our true servitude. The more I write the more I realize how ungrateful, and arrogant I am. How much better and harder I think I work. How much I think that I have done and that I still need to do. How much I need convicting of my dirty heart. How much I need to carry with me the words "it's not about me"

    ReplyDelete